International Students

Your admission letter, as well as additional letter materials, can be found in Atlas in your admissions checklist.

Please carefully read the additional letter materials document, as it provides personalized information about your visa status and steps you need to complete.

For those students requiring an F-1 or J-1 visa, you must submit financial documentation verifying your ability to pay your tuition and living expenses for one year.

Undergraduate estimates can be found here:

Review financial information for undergraduate international students

For graduate students, tuition may vary depending on your program. You can review graduate tuition costs here. In addition to tuition, you'll need to show approximately an additional $19,000 for fees, living expenses, books, and health insurance. Exact amounts you'll need to show for Fall 2024 will be coming soon.

To provide this information, complete the “Submit Financial Support Agreement” and “Submit Financial Documentation” steps on your application checklist in Atlas.

If you have not yet done so, please also provide a copy of your passport by completing the form "Submit a copy of your Passport ID Page" on Atlas.

You must provide these before we can issue you form I-20 or form DS-2019 for your visa application.

If you're currently on an F-1 student visa studying at another US high school, college, or university, you already have a record in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System), and will need to transfer that record from your current US institution to IU Indianapolis.

Log onto Atlas and follow instructions for filling out and submitting the "SEVIS Transfer Request Form" in your undergraduate admissions checklist.

Once we've reviewed your finances and have everything we need, we'll issue your form I-20 or DS-2019. You can find it in your application checklist in Atlas. Make sure all the information listed is correct.

If you are applying for a new visa, print your form I-20 or DS-2019 to take to your visa appointment and while traveling.

To obtain your United States visa and enter the United States, you'll need to use your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) number to pay a fee online in SEVIS, and schedule a visa interview appointment at a US embassy. You can find your SEVIS number on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.

For more information, visit the Office of International Affairs website.

How to apply for an F-1 visa

How to apply for a J-1 visa

Our International Student Advisors at the Office of International Affairs are a resource to help you with your visa and immigration questions. You can contact them at

Canadian students

If you're a citizen of Canada, you do not need to apply for a visa to study in the United States. You will still need your I-20, be registered in SEVIS, and be required to pay the SEVIS fee.