Skip to main content

Get aid to study abroad

If you’re planning to study abroad, you may be eligible for the same financial aid options as if you were studying at IU Indianapolis.

A woman wearing a backpack and hand resting on a roller suitcase next to them stands looking a digital display of airplane departures times.

Eligibility and exceptions for aid

Financial aid is disbursed at the start of the term when you study abroad. Some program costs must be paid in advance. To be eligible for loans, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours for the term you’ll be studying abroad. Other awards, such as the Pell Grant and 21st Century Scholars, may also be based on your enrollment. You must have a current FAFSA on file and meet all other criteria such as maintaining satisfactory academic progress.

Aid you can’t use for study abroad: External programs and programs co-sponsored through IU, such as IES Abroad and Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), will not allow you to use the fee benefit, fee remissions, or assistance to a child of a disabled veteran. These programs require that you pay actual tuition costs at IU Indianapolis or other IU campuses.

How to get started

Studying abroad is a long-term investment in yourself and your career, and we want to make sure you have the funds to make it happen. Find study abroad scholarships available for IU Indianapolis students.

Types of study abroad programs

Each program type has its own instructions for enrollment.

You must enroll in the IU Indianapolis course assigned to the program. Your program budget will be submitted to our office, and we will adjust your financial aid, if appropriate.

Explore IU Indianapolis programs

You must complete a study abroad consortium agreement and get your academic advisor’s signature, then return the signed form to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. You must also register for the course at the IU campus or regional education center where it is offered.

Study abroad consortium agreements for the upcoming academic year will be available in late summer. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at 317-274-4162 or with questions or to request these forms in an accessible format.

You must get approval for non-IU programs from the Study Abroad Office. Once approved, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will evaluate your account for financial aid.

IU Indianapolis

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Campus Center, Room 250
420 University Blvd

Indianapolis, IN 46202