Skip to main content

When and how to request a grade change

Think you were awarded the wrong grade? You can take steps to appeal it.

How to request a grade change

If you believe there’s been an error in the calculation or assignment of a grade, it’s your responsibility to contact your instructor. The instructor can request for your grade to be changed if there’s an error.

If you can’t resolve the matter with your instructor, or you’re unable to contact them, talk to the chair or director of the department or program in which the course was offered to learn more about the grade change appeal process. Required steps—including deadlines and timelines—may vary.

The grade change appeal process

You can resolve grade change requests, grade discrepancies, or grade disputes by submitting a grade change appeal after the course concludes.

You’re able to submit an appeal only if you’ve taken the course within the last five years (Academic units may choose to enforce shorter time periods). Exceptions to this five-year period are extremely rare.

If you’re an undergraduate student, you can submit a grade change appeal. The completed appeal will go to the Office of the Registrar, which will distribute the form(s) to the appropriate academic unit(s). Contact the Office of the Registrar with questions or to request this form in an accessible format.

Grade change decisions are made by the academic unit offering the course. If your request is approved, the school will notify the Office of the Registrar to update your record. If your request is denied, the school will notify you directly. Please allow four weeks for the review process to be completed.

Note: Graduate Students

If you’re a graduate or professional student, requests are subject to the policies of the academic unit offering the course. Contact them directly for details. Do not use the appeal form process.

Requests for withdrawal after a course ends

Bottom line: Schools cannot consider a retroactive withdrawal request if you’ve completed the course.

Forgetting to withdraw from a course, even if you never attended, isn’t a sufficient reason for the course to be deleted from your record.

IU Indianapolis will consider deleting a course from your record only in cases where the university has made an error. This is also true for grades of W.

For more information about grade and withdrawal policies, read the faculty council’s policies and resolutions.

IU Indianapolis

Office of the Registrar

Campus Center, Room 250
420 University Blvd

Indianapolis, IN 46202