Skip to main content

Understanding external scholarships

If you receive scholarships from a source outside of IU, you may need to request a release form or submit funds.

What is an external scholarship?

Any scholarship funds you’ve received from a private source are considered external scholarships. In other words, if you have scholarship money that didn’t come from IU Indianapolis or a state or federal program, it’s an outside scholarship.

What if I need to complete a release form?

If any of your external awards require us to submit information to the donor (e.g., cost of attendance, federal aid received) for you to receive your funds, please contact us.

How do I submit scholarship funds?

If you receive a check directly from your scholarship donor, you’ll need to pass it on to us.

Mail a check

Send your check to:

IU Indianapolis Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
P.O. Box 6035
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6035

Drop off a check

You can bring your check to our office in the Campus Center during office hours or use the after-hours Financial Aid and Scholarships drop box across the hallway from Campus Center 264.

IU Indianapolis

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Campus Center, Room 250
420 University Blvd

Indianapolis, IN 46202