Skip to main content

Update your major, minor, or certificate

Thinking of taking a different path?

If you are an undergraduate student and have decided to make a change to your educational goals, we can help. It’s easy to update your major, your school, or even the campus where you’re studying.

And meeting with your advisor is key. 

You can review your academic progress and plan of study through your planner and degree progress report. Your advisor can help you use these tools to make the best decisions about your academic goals.

Before you make a change

Changing your plan of study could have an impact on your degree progress and your finances. To best prepare you for your new path, take a moment to review the following helpful information.

Note: If you want to follow a pre-professional path within your current major rather than switch majors, talk to your advisor about adding pre-professional intent to your student record to receive special advising for your desired plan of study.

Update your major, minor, or certificate

You can make updates to your plan of study by contacting the school that awards the credential you want to earn. Choose the appropriate school from the following list to see instructions and special information about how to work with them.

  • Admissions: Whether you want to teach in an elementary or secondary school, become a reading specialist, or pursue a career in special education, we have an undergraduate program to prepare you for teaching in diverse schools, now and in the future. There are two ways to be admitted to the IU School of Education at IU Indianapolis (SOE) as an undergraduate student: (1) Declare SOE as your school of choice when you apply to IU Indianapolis to be directly admitted or (2) Apply to University College, then switch to the School of Education once you’ve completed 12 credit hours with a GPA of at least 2.5.
  • To declare, add, change, or remove a major, minor, or certificate
  • Website
  • Contact

  • IU Indianapolis students are welcome to apply to the IU School of Social Work. Please look at the criteria and details on the IUSSW website. Applications are due in the spring to begin classes with us in the fall.
  • Contact the BSW Student Services Coordinator and Recruitment Specialist, Jewel Mosley, with questions.

Change your campus

Want to visit another IU campus? Or considering transferring to finish your degree?

Still need help?

If you’re ready for a change, but you’re not sure where to go next, you can use our Degrees & Majors page to find your new path. Your advisor can also help you decide your best next move.

IU Indianapolis

Office of the Registrar

Campus Center, Room 250
420 University Blvd

Indianapolis, IN 46202